Yarn Along (no.9)

by Josée

It’s Yarn Along with Ginny over at Small Things.

Last week I hadn’t started a new knitting project because I had no yarn. I remedied that problem this past weekend with a much needed trip to the yarn shop. I left the yarn shop thrilled and then practiced a few key lines to deliver to Hubby to justify my extravagant purchase. He didn’t seem to mind and used it to justify getting a Blu-ray player a few days later.

My next project.

After I got home eager to start my project I realized that I didn’t have the right sized knitting needles. For some reason I thought I had a pair of 5.5mm straight needles. I was wrong. So now I can only gaze longingly at the beautiful stone blue Malabrigo and Miski off-white yarn and wait patiently for the next opportunity to go buy the needles.

In the meantime I have a nice stack of books to keep me company. This week I’m reading Duty and Desire: A Novel of Fitzwilliam Darcy, if you are a Jane Austen fan I recommend the trilogy, and The Creative Family: How to Encourage Imagination and Nurture Family Connections. I’ve also got a few cooking/baking book on the go. Flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston’s Flour Bakery + Cafe is wonderful and I’m making a list of the different recipes I must try. The other cookbook, Growing up in a Korean Kitchen: A Cookbook, is my source of inspiration for attempting to make some home cooked Korean food for our new student. Wish me luck! I think I’m going to try making kimchi tomorrow.

13 comments

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} January 19, 2011 - 7:46 am

Haha, those husbands do like to use our little crafty purchases for their own gain don't they *grin*. Oh that is to bad about the needles 🙁 But you do have one good book list going! Hope you get to start knitting real soon 🙂

Jen @ Forever, For Always... January 19, 2011 - 10:44 am

That Korean Kitchen cookbook sounds interesting, good luck with kimchi! We like it at our house too. The yarn looks beautiful!

nocton4 January 19, 2011 - 11:26 am

oh those books look wonderful and happy days at the yarn store, hoping you get the knitting going soon, looks fab x

Kathryn January 19, 2011 - 1:00 pm

We also help each other out of guilt by justifying 'new' purchases! I love the yarn, the books, and I can't wait to see the projects

Nadja Magdalena January 19, 2011 - 1:11 pm

Oh, that Malabrigo looks lovely! I have never knit with it before, and every time I see a project made with it, my heart leaps!

As difficult as it is for me to spend money on stuff for myself, I have much less trouble justifying the purchase of art and craft stuff. but Malabrigo isn't quite in the budget just yet!

MJ January 19, 2011 - 1:30 pm

Thanks so much for the links to the yarn, they are gorgeous!!!

Kristin January 19, 2011 - 4:13 pm

Do you have the right size circular needles? I love knitting straight with circular needles because they never fall on the floor 🙂 I, too, appreciate the yarn links. Thanks!

Plain and Joyful Living January 19, 2011 - 4:21 pm

Love the beautiful yarn – hope you can get the needles soon. The hat looks cute.
Warm wishes.

S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen January 19, 2011 - 4:23 pm

We adore kimchi over here too, after 3 tours and additional vacations over there I really don't think my dh can ever get enough kimchi!

Are you liking Amanda's book? I thought it was dry and dull actually, but my dd is so much older that may have played into it…

Elizabeth January 19, 2011 - 4:55 pm

The Pixie Hood looks so cute! Can't wait to see it on your needles!

Sarah January 19, 2011 - 5:07 pm

That little bonnet will be so sweet!! And I really liked that Trilogy, too. Highly recommended!

Julie January 19, 2011 - 6:17 pm

That pixie hood is sweet, I can't wait to see it when you do get to it.

Elisa January 21, 2011 - 8:14 pm

Hey Josée – I'm just wanted to reply to your comment about a good spiritual book, so I just though I'd write in here since I can't find an email.
This EWTN bookmark video had an interview with the woman who translated the book into English. It's a perfect intro to the book: