Making my own toothpaste has been on my DIY list for some time. I came across a non-toxic toothpaste recipe over on Crunchy Catholic Momma and picked up the ingredients months ago. Most of the items I already had on hand. Mixing everything together took five minutes, at most, and I was optimistic about my jar of homemade paste. It smelled nice.
I carried the jar to the washroom, took a picture of it, and decided to give it a try. I put a good dollop on my toothbrush and stuck it in my mouth. Have you ever eaten a muffin and unexpectedly got a chunk of baking soda that didn’t quite mix in with the rest of the batter. Yes, well, the way your taste buds revolt in that scenario is about a fraction of what they do when you stick a glob of homemade toothpaste in your mouth. For some reason I failed to register that the main ingredient was baking soda and I was over optimistic that xylitol and peppermint would mask the BS flavour.
I got through the brushing session by holding my breath, effectively numbing my tastebuds. Granted after a thorough rinsing my teeth felt very clean and there was no weird aftertaste. I have a cup of this toothpaste to contend with. Should I force myself to use it (it’s non-toxic) and hopefully get use to it? Or should I go and pick up another tube of Green Beaver toothpaste?