There are a lot of unknowns that await us in the next 365 days and not knowing what will happen can be both exciting and unnerving. Maybe that’s why we embrace the new year as an opportunity to make resolutions and commit to being a better version of ourselves. We want to start the new year holding a beacon of hope.
Choose a Simple Resolution
“I want to get in shape.”
“I want to make more money.”
“I want to focus better.”
Lots of people make new year’s resolution but don’t stick to them. Why? It takes reflection, intention, planning and support to achieve complex resolutions like the ones I just listed and often we don’t take the time to set ourselves up for success.
One solution is to choose a simple resolution or an intention for the year instead. A One Word intention, which is becoming more and more popular, is a single word resolution that can be your inspiration throughout the year.
How to Choose One Word
1. Reflect on your life this last year.
Take some time to sit and reflect on your life over the past year.
- What brought joy in your life?
- What were some challenges you faced?
- What are the things that you wish you could change about yourself or your situation?
2. Imagine the person you want to become.
Ignore what others have said about you in the past, or what you’ve said to yourself in the past. You have the capacity to stretch, grow and change.
- How do you want to change?
- Who do you want to become?
- What are the traits, values and behaviours that this new version of yourself has?
Good read: Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck
3. Select One Word.
After reflecting on the past and imagining yourself in the future, pick one word that will be your guide and inspiration to becoming that version of yourself. Sometimes the word is obvious, sometimes it’s subtle. If you’re feeling brave talk to your partner, children, family or friends about word suggestions. If you need word ideas here are several great websites:
4. Take Ownership of Your One Word.
nWhen you’ve chose your One Word you need to own it, proclaim it and show it to the world. Display your One Word so that you will see it regularly during your day to day life.
- Frame your word and display it in your home.
- Display your word on your computer screen or cell phone screen.
- Take out some books and resource relating to your one word.
My One Word for 2019
I have been using a One Word yearly intentions for eight years now. The first word I chose was CHERISH. At the time I had two little ones under the age of three . Since that first year I’ve chosen words like BALANCE, FEARLESS and PRIORITY.
This year my One Word is FOCUS. I need to stay focused on my values and goals this year. This past year I got swept up and distracted by things that weren’t really what I was hoping to spend my time on. Not this year!
Join the Backwoods Mama Newsletter!