I have been obsessed with dandelions this spring. We’ve been using dandelions to create art, decorate our nature table and fill our bellies. There have been plenty of dandelion “fails” along the way… I will spare you the drama of my dandelion play dough. However, despite all my hairbrained ideas this dandelion petal butter cookie recipe is a keeper. Not only are these cookies beautiful to look at, they are delicious to eat. The dandelion petals impart a subtle honey flavour that children love!
These dandelion petal butter cookies are quite straightforward to make. The most time consuming part is foraging for dandelions and plucking the dandelion petals from the flowers.
Picking dandelion flowers
Dandelions are one of honeybees’ first spring flowers for gathering nectar and pollen. A good rule of thumb is to harvest one dandelion for every ten blooming.
Another things to keep in mind is to avoid picking dandelions from areas that have been sprayed by herbicides or pesticides, along busy roadways or highly trafficked areas.
Plucking dandelion flowers
When it comes to plucking the dandelion petal, I find it easiest to pluck them from dry flowers. Wet flowers, either from rain, sprinklers or washing, causes the petals to stick on your fingers making it a messy and frustrating task. Also, the added wetness on the flowers might affect the texture of the cookies. If you find dandelion flowers from a relatively clean area don’t bother washing them. Or, if you must wash them, let them air dry a little before plucking the petals.
Dandelion Flower Butter Cookies
- 1 cup butter, unsalted
- 1/2 tsp. salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup dandelion flower petals
- 2 cups flour, all purpose
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. dandelion flower petals
- Cream together the butter, sugar and salt (if using) in a large bowl, or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, until the mixture is light in colour and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time and mix thoroughly.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and dandelion flower petals.
- Pour in the flour and mix until the dough is well combined and smooth.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and roll it into a log.
- Mix together the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and 2 Tbsp. of dandelion flower petals and sprinkle onto a clean surface (counter or cutting board).
- Roll the dough log over the sugar and petal mixture.
- Wrap the log in parchment paper or plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for a least one hour or overnight.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the log into 1/4 inch slices and lay them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350F for 10 to 12 minutes or until the edged of the cookie just begin turning light brown.
This recipe has adapted from Preppy Kitchen Butter Cookies.